Friday, October 22, 2010

My continued love of PUMPKINS!

You are all so lucky to be hearing from me two days in a row!! But remember it's only because I am doing NOTHING (besides homework) this weekend! I even took a "personal" day from school (well not really: my 8am class was optional and for my 9:05am class I was planning on going, but I woke up with a major headache and body aches so I headed back to bed). I was just thinking about how many pumpkin things I have and gathered them all (pictured below fun facts)
I thought these were cute!
So in honor of my mild love and obsessiveness about PUMPKINS here's some fun facts:
A pumpkin is really a squash?
It is! It's  a member of the Cucurbita family which includes squash and cucumbers.

That pumpkins are grown all over the world?
Six of the seven continents can grow pumpkins including Alaska! Antarctica is the only continent that they won't grow in.

That the "pumpkin capital" of the world is Morton, Illinois?
This self proclaimed  pumpkin capital is where you'll find the home of the Libby corporation's pumpkin industry.

That the  Irish brought this tradition of pumpkin carving to America?
The tradition originally started with the carving of turnips. When the Irish immigrated to the U.S., they found pumpkins a plenty and they were much easier to carve for their ancient holiday.

Fun Facts About The Pumpkin!
  • Pumpkins contain potassium and Vitamin A.
  • The largest pumpkin pie ever made was over five feet in diameter and weighed over 350 pounds. It used 80 pounds of cooked pumpkin, 36 pounds of sugar, 12 dozen eggs and took six hours to bake.
  • In early colonial times, pumpkins were used as an ingredient for the crust of pies, not the filling.
  • Pumpkins were once recommended for removing freckles and curing snake bites.
  • The largest pumpkin ever grown weighed 1,140 pounds.
  • The Connecticut field variety is the traditional American pumpkin.
  • Pumpkins are 90 percent water.
  • Eighty percent of the pumpkin supply in the United States is available in October.

    ***all found at http://www.pumpkin-patch.com/facts.html***
Everything in my life that is pumpkin! Slight obsession!

3 comments:

  1. Holy pumpkinmolly! You are a pumpkin fanatic.
    There's only one place to go to look for pumpkin facts! :)
    Love it. How do you like the pumpkin room spray thingy? I'm thinking about buying some.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Those are actually really interesting pumpkin facts! I would have never pictured them being 90 percent water!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try Brooklyn's Post Road Pumpkin Ale and Shipyard's Double Smashed Ale. They are awesome.

    Kevin
    http://halftriing.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete